1. Listen to what it is the man you are with is telling you. The Beltway Bachelor says that he cannot imagine any couple living together, not ever. If your man says this, believe him, and don’t keep hoping that he will change. He won’t change and that could break your heart.
2. Trust your instincts. “Let your instincts be your guide. If you are uneasy about aspects of a relationship, get to the bottom of it or get out.”
3. Store up treasures of joy. When you are with someone you care about deeply, relish the good times, the loving moments. Keep them in your heart where no one can take them from you. Only you can dissipate joy through anger or resentment.
4. Keep a gratitude journal and write out at least four little joys that you experience each day with friends, with family, with your partner. This expands your thinking so as not to become possessive of the person who means something to you.
5. Be certain that the love of your life, your current squeeze, the person you married is your best friend—someone who keeps you doubled over in laughter. “Sexiness wears thin after a while and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh every day, ah, now that’s a real treat.”